Among the Ekos polling results:
- Two-thirds of Canadians disagree with oil and gas subsidies, and 41% strongly disagree.
- The majority still oppose subsidies if they think public money given to fossil companies will create jobs and economic growth. Only three in 10 respondents think an end to fossil subsidies would hurt the economy.
- Six in 10 Canadians “agree that oil and gas companies should not receive government assistance, on the basis that these subsidies exacerbate pollution and contribute to climate change.”
- An overwhelming 96% agree that governments should disclose the amount fossils receive in subsidies.
- 58% “would be more likely to support a political party that promises to eliminate subsidies to oil and gas companies.”
- The majority of respondents cited the need for more ambitious climate action as the reason to end fossil subsidies, while 21% wanted to see the money freed up for other priorities like health care, education, and housing.
See the report in The Energy Mix news service: http://theenergymix.com/2018/06/04/two-thirds-of-canadians-oppose-fossil-fuel-subsidies/
Environmental Defence blog, “NEW POLL: CANADIANS ARE READY TO END GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS TO FOSSIL FUEL COMPANIES,” https://environmentaldefence.ca/2018/06/01/new-poll-canadians-ready-end-government-handouts-fossil-fuel-companies/
Full Report: https://environmentaldefence.ca/report/stopfundingfossils/